Parent Involvement Policy
Parents at Harvard Elementary are considered to be vital learning partners in the educational and governance process. Together as partners, teachers, staff and parents learn about practices and strategies that promote literacy, math and science. Parents are informed of student achievement and standards mastery by:
- Parents conferences held twice a year at reporting periods and as needed by teacher or parent.
- End of the year report card.
- Teacher will routinely communicate the progress of students who are functioning below grade level through notes home and or phone calls.
- Teacher assistants can provide assistance in parental involvement by providing interpretation to parents that are not fluent English speakers during parent conferences.
- All parents are informed of monthly parent committee meetings with appropriate translation.
- Communication with parents include monthly newsletters, bulletins sent home with students, personal phone calls, poster publicizing meetings, and letters sent from the teacher.
- The monthly newsletter and flyers communicate pertinent information and upcoming events to parents.
- Parents are encouraged to participate in the collection of data through participation in the English Learner Advisory Committee along with School Site Council.
- Parents are notified and invited to special ceremonies that honor student academic achievement, citizenship, or attendance.
- We have a School Community Liaison to help facilitate communication between parents, community and staff.
- Parent workshops will be held to ensure that all parents are informed of the available school and district programs, as well as to provide support for parent to assist their children with schoolwork at home.
- Parent volunteers are an essential part of the proper functioning of our schools because we are such a small school and any and all volunteers are needed and valued.
- Parent volunteers are utilized for a number of responsibilities, including valet parking, helping teacher and students in small group settings, as library assistants, and in some cases as guest readers for a class.
- English Language School (ESL) for parents with sufficient enrollment
School & Parent Engagement
Please create a Parent Portal account to gain access to your child’s grades, change contact and emergency telephone information, and to register for COVID-19 testing and Daily Pass.
You will need an email account to sign up.
Lemon Grove Park provides recreational and athletic activities.
Hollywood PAL - The Hollywood Police Activities League provides recreational, educational, and athletic activities (such as soccer, karate, and basketball, Jr. Police Academy, and field trips) for young people (ages 6 - 17) for a small fee.
What are Common Core Standards?
Every school year you will receive many forms that need to be read and signed. Please make sure that you receive the LAUSD Parent/Student Handbook.
Please make sure that the following forms are returned to the office within the first week of school:
Emergency Information Form
Information Release Form
Receipt of Annual Notice Form
Ethnicity/Race Identification of Students Form
Annual Pesticide Notification Form
Parent Student Handbook Forms
Acceptable Use Policy
Library Policy Form
You can also find these forms on the LAUSD Parent Forms page.
An LAUSD Photo Release Form should be on file with the teacher and office to publish photos on this website.
Places to Go in L.A.